TWH – The death of George Floyd occurring while he was being taken into police custody last week spurred large protests in many cities across the U.S. throughout the week and weekend, despite concerns over the pandemic. Violence also erupted in several locations and there were also multiple reports of seemingly unprovoked attacks by police on demonstrators and media alike.
A number of Pagan groups and organizations released statements condemning violent police actions and in support of equality, communities, and people of color.
From the EarthSpirit Community:
"People of faith, particularly those of us who are white progressives, need to combat the systems of criminalization in…
Ar nDraiocht Fein: A Druid Fellowship:
In light of the recent death of George Floyd the Mother Grove is resolved to explicitly and publicly re-affirm our…
Assembly of the Sacred Wheel:
**There will be an addition/update to this statement in a week. In the meantime this still stands.**"On Systemic…
Witches were visibly present at several protests. One set of protesters in Eugene, Oregon were reminiscent of the demonstrations of the late-60s W.I.T.C.H. (originally an acronym for Women’s International Terrorist Conspiracy from Hell, but evolved to mean many other things) which has been revived going back to 2017.
In New Haven, Connecticut another sign bearing a pentacle and the slogan, “HEX OUT HATE” was presumably held by a Witch or Pagan.
* * *
WASHINGTON – On Sunday, during massive demonstrations, NBC reported that President Trump tweeted that he would declare Antifa a terrorist organization. It immediately sparked confusion about how he would do this since there is no legal authority or domestic terrorism statute to designate any domestic organization as a terrorist group.
Hina Shamsi, Director for the American Civil Liberties Union National Security Project pointed out, “There is no legal authority for designating a domestic group. Any such designation would raise significant due process and First Amendment concerns.”
There is also little evidence that points to anyone who aligns with the ideology of Antifa or anti-fascism of being a driving force behind the damage done by those who rioted.
Trump’s tweet did, however, prompt a lengthy response from Antifa on Facebook, that included:
Antifa’ isn’t an organization. There’s no membership, no meetings, no dues, no rules, no leaders, no structure. It is, literally, an idea and nothing more. Even the claim of this author to represent ‘Antifa’ is one made unilaterally for the purposes of this communication; there is no governing body nor trademark owner to dispute the author’s right to represent ‘AntiFa.’
‘Antifa’ is a neologism constructed from a contraction of the phrase ‘anti-fascist.’ The truth is, there’s no such thing as being ‘anti-Fascist.’ Either you are a decent human being with a conscience, or you are a fascist.
TO: ALL MEDIAPUBLIC STATEMENT FROM “ANTIFA” IN RESPONSE TO THE THREATS ISSUED BY UNITED STATES PRESIDENT DONALD J….
In other news:
- 🏳️🌈 Today marks the beginning of June and Gay Pride Month which was first designated as such in 1969. Most Gay Pride events and parades have been either canceled or postponed due to the COVID-19. A number of events have created online virtual content. Good Morning America published a partial list that included some of the events.
- The ABC television show, To Tell The Truth, last week included a segment that featured the panel trying to determine which contestant was really a “professional Witch.” Panelist Tom Lemon was the only panelist to correctly identify Devin Hunter as the real “professional Witch.” One of the other contestants, who was not a Witch, was however revealed to legally be named Harry Potter, born and named long before the eponymous books were written.
- In Negar, Italy just to the north of Verona, part of the pavement and foundation of an ancient Roman villa has finally been discovered. Archaeologists and researchers have been trying to locate the ruins for decades since researchers became aware of its potential existence years ago. Initial excavations at a vineyard revealed beautiful mosaic patterns of paving that have been well-preserved under several meters of earth. Officials will work the property owners to determine how best to excavate the site which is expected to be a lengthy and difficult process.
- Conway Hall Ethical Society’s venue in the U.K. is host to a variety of events, among them Pagan rituals and workshops. The shutdown due to the pandemic has eliminated all revenue which allows them to operate and maintain the venue. Conway Hall is an independent charity, so it does not receive any regular funding from the government or other sources. It is solely dependent on support from its members, with the bulk of their funding coming from the events they host. They initiated the crowdfunding #SaveOurVenues as part of the national initiative launched by the Music Venue Trust to prevent the closure of hundreds of independent music venues.
- The annual viewing of the synchronous firefly (Photinus carolinus) display in the Smoky Mountains while canceled due to the pandemic, will be able to be viewed virtually on Monday evening, June 1 at 8:00 pm (EDT) on YouTube in a presentation by Discover Life in America (DLiA). The event will include a short opening presentation by Dr. Will Kuhn, Director of Science and Research for DLiA, and include answers to questions asked in the comments. People travel from around the world to view what is considered to be one of the most amazing displays of nature. The event is free, but organizers ask that viewers make a contribution to DLiA if they can.
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: Tarot of the Pirates by Bepi Vigna, artwork by Michele Benevento, published by Lo Scarabeo.
Card: Knave of Swords
This week may offer some hope in the form of sincere gestures. The ability to identify, and trust the friendly face within an indifferent or even hostile crowd can offer a way to navigating the path forward. Conversely, lack of trust and awareness can lead to loss, missteps, and a lengthening of the journey.
Decks generously provided by Asheville Raven & Crone.